Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My grandparents live in my property which I soley own. I live

My grandparents live in my property which I soley own. I live elsewhere. Can I charge them rent to help me with my own rental costs? They are elderly and receive state pensions.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Yes if the property belongs to you, you certainly can. You would have to pay income tax on any rent you receive as it is treated as income just as any other income and would have to submit a tax return to declare the rent income received.

Joshua :

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

sorry for slow response, am blind and using screen reader.

Customer:

does it matter that they are only getting a pension and other state benefits

Joshua :

Would they need housing benefit to pay the rent or would they pay from their pension and only savings?

Customer:

would probably need housing benefits as no savings and only state pension/benefits.

Joshua :

It is possible for them to apply for housing benefit but only if you charge them a market rent, have a formal tenancy agreement in place and treat them as you would any other tenant.

Joshua :

They cannot claim housing benefit if you live in the property too but from what you say you will not so this should not be an issue.

Joshua :

Is there anything else i can clarify for you?

Customer:

Joshua :

A pleasure.