LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

Hi, We own a house in Cambridgeshire. The house has a separate

Customer Question

We own a house in Cambridgeshire. The house has a separate detached annexe which has its own entrance (kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedroom), own separate garden, own electricity supply/meter and is council banded with its own council tax payable. There is a possibility that it currently shares the water meter with the main house. Distance between the two properties is approx 2m.

If we have works done to give the annexe its own water meter is there a way that we can separate the deeds and sell the annexe as a separate house retaining the main house as our home?

Thanks,

peter
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

As long as there are no planning restrictions or other regulations preventing you from doing this then there is no general reason why you cannot subdivide your property and sell the annex as a separate property indeed a great many people have made a good deal of money doing just that. I would suggest you contact a local conveyancing solicitor to check if there are any local restrictions preventing this plan, but as a general statement of law you can subdivide and sell in the way envisaged.