wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

A group of local people have been allowed topark their cars

A group of local people have been allowed topark their cars on a piece of land for approx. 20 years at a peppercorn rate. Owner has died and executors have given notice and put land up for auction. Can they claim Squatters rights and how?
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.

wingrovebuyer :

Hello. Can you explain a bit more please - what is the group and what is the purpose of parking (ie residents parking outside a street).

Customer: Group are residents of a row of small cottages in village street with no parking facilities. They have been allowed to park on land opposite to avoid street parking in narrow country road where on street parking would give rise to dangerous situation
wingrovebuyer :

Hello. You have rated poor service, yet didn't give me a chance to answer. I cannot continue unless you change your rating. WB

Customer:

I gave further information requested but have not, as yet, received a reply

Customer:

I still await answer.

wingrovebuyer :

Sorry - as explained I am unable to continue until you change the rating. You rated 1 minute after providing the extra information which clearly did not give me sufficient time to respond. Best, WB.

Customer:

I have already changed the rating to OK for your credit to be viable but I still do not have an answer. I would appreciate one in order to be able to give a credible rating which I apparently did at an inappropriate time.

wingrovebuyer :

I cannot see the changed rating but will give my answer, but you won't like it. I'm afraid that you cannot have acquired any rights, such as adverse possession or easements for parking, because you state permission was given. Adverse rights can't arise when permission was given, because the use has not been "as of right" which is one of the conditions which must be met for rights to arise. Accordingly, the landowner can terminate the permission and sell the land. Sorry!