wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

About 20 years ago I planted a conifer hedge between me and

About 20 years ago I planted a conifer hedge between me and my neighbour. I now would like to replace this with a neat wooden fence giving them the best side. The fence would be about 5foot high to give them privicy on their side. Can I do this.
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.

wingrovebuyer :

Hello. Provided the boundary hedge is yours and not on a party boundary, you can remove it and replace it with a fence. You might need to check your deeds to see if the boundary is a party boundary.

Customer:

I am the one that put the hedge in first, but what is a party boundary ?

wingrovebuyer :

It is a boundary feature which is jointly owned by the neighbours. I doubt this arises here, so by all means, remove the hedge and put in your fence. Provided it is entirely on your side, your neighbour can't complain. Best, WB