Alice H, Solicitor
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
30932268

a farmer put up a barbed wire fence between his field and an

a farmer put up a barbed wire fence between his field and an elderly womans garden. The farmer owns the boundary. When she took it down after cutting her arm whilst mowing her lawn she got letters from him stating he would take her to court if she took the replacement down . Is it legal to put up a boundary of barbed wire between a agricultural field and private house garden. ?? Health and safety
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Alex Hughes :

It is not illegal as such to use barbed wire but the famer has a duty to ensure that the barb wire does not cause injury to other persons. If it does the injured party could apply for compensation. However, removing the barbed wire without the farmers permission could amount to criminal damage.