Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Hi how can i purchase mineral rights? I am not sure who owns

Customer Question

Hi how can i purchase mineral rights? I am not sure who owns them. I don't even know and won't be able to find out if they are on the deeds to the property that the landlord has.
Any help would be great
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

You mention a landlord. Do you presently own or are you looking to buy a piece of land with ineral rights please or just mineral rights alone?

JACUSTOMER-o7gtkruu- : The property was empty for 10 years and I just put my stuff in there about 8 years ago, it was a disused coach house.
JACUSTOMER-o7gtkruu- : I was then approached by the guy who owns it and he offered to rent this to me I agreed and asked if he wanted to sell this. At the time he didn't but I had a lease with him for 1 year ending June 2014 he has now decided to sell this and wants me out at the end of my lease. But would not offer this to me to purchase. I was thinking of buyin the mineral rights so developers can't just pull this down and start laying foundations without then purchasing the mineral rights from me.
Joshua :

Joshua :

So to be clear the owner does not want to sell to you which you accept but you are hoping you may be able to purchase the mineral rights to the land anyway. Is that correct please?

JACUSTOMER-o7gtkruu- : Yes that is right, and would that stop the developers digging foundations or could they just build there without my permission?
Joshua :

Apologies for the delay in reverting to you. Have you had the opportunity to obtain the title entries (deeds) to the property from the Land Registry?