75100385

We have a block of 12 apartments. A company would like to

We have a block of 12 apartments.

A company would like to lease/rent these off us, one at a time, in order to house young people that are currently in council care, as an interim from moving from council care to independence.

There will be an in-house manager of the block/clients.

The company will be responsible for any damage their clients cause to the property.

It will be initially a 2 year agreement, with an option to extend.

What kind of agreement do I need to have drawn up? As the company not the client will be the occupier, it is not a standard AST.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Would it be the same tenant please?

Customer:

The Company would be the tenant in each apartment, not their client

Alex Watts :

Ok - and they would sub let them?

Alex Watts :

If so and you are OK with that then you have 2 choices:

Alex Watts :

1) an AST with a clause ALLOWING sub letting, or

Alex Watts :

2) A proper lease

Customer:

Yes and no. We ark talking about young people, maybe 16 or so, so the companies client would be the council who will be asking the company to house the children/young adults

Alex Watts :

If you a lease then the Company is the Landlord and can manage the properties

Alex Watts :

If you give them an AST then their options are more limited in managing the properties.

Alex Watts :

You would have to evict tenants if required etc and do all the managing

Alex Watts :

If the properties are leased then they can manage them and do all the admin

Alex Watts :

So if it is going to be one tenant per property, then AST with sub let would be fine

Alex Watts :

Customer:

The next point, if it was a lease, is that the company would not be taking on the whole block at the same time, but one apartment at a time. So am I better creating a 2year AST, with an option to extend, and have a separate AST for each apartment?

Customer:

allowing subletting ...

Alex Watts :

Separate AST for each one gives YOU more options

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

OK, great, thank you Alex.

Customer:

Regards,

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Alex Watts :

Please let me know if you can't rate.

Customer:

I am being told I can't rate as you haven't finished answering ...?

Try now!