tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
73598664

We are a semi detached property, our neighbours has changed

We are a semi detached property, our neighbours has changed their property into two dwellings, they are now selling the middle property and have advertised it as a Mid Terrace property, does this devalue our property and are we still classed as a semi detached or has this de-valued our house, thus making us an end of terrace property.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

That's an interesting question.

tdlawyer :

I don't think their description would damage anything, nor would what you describe it as because in reality, anybody that views it, will see it for what it is, regardless of the description.

tdlawyer :

The real question is whether the inclusion of another house in effect has devalued it - not what it's called.

tdlawyer :

I doubt it, is my view, but this is really a question for an expert surveyor to answer.

tdlawyer :

They would need to look at comparable properties in the area and base their decision on their local knowledge etc.

Customer:

Should we then get a surveyor to check this and could we sue if our property is actually devalued and whom would we sue the council who agreed this or the owner?

tdlawyer :

Yes, get them to check it for you. You would only be able to sue if they were in breach of some obligation to you, or perhaps, planning. This is an unusual question and it's not a scenario I have seen before, but generally, people are free to do as they please, subject to covenants affecting their land and public planning restrictions.

tdlawyer :

If they breach covenants, you can sue, but planning is a bit more ambiguous I'm afraid.

Customer:

Thank you for your help.

tdlawyer :

Thank you. XXXXX ask whether you're happy with the service today please?

Customer:

Yes thank you

tdlawyer :

Great. Thanks - have a good bank holiday weekend!

Customer:

And you thank you again.

tdlawyer :

Anytime :)