wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

My great uncle died and my gran inherited his house via probate

My great uncle died and my gran inherited his house via probate (no will) - she never moved in and kindly gifted me the house- via a letter to my solicitor. She was never named on the deeds. I was named on the new deed when it was applied for.

I sold the property and the deed was transferred to the new owner.

Is there anything wrong with the above in terms of ownership? And also is there any tax liability for me?
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.

wingrovebuyer :

Hello. Did you live there before selling and when did you sell please?

Customer: Hi, I didn't. The house remained empty. I sold approximately 2 months ago.
wingrovebuyer :

Ok, thanks. There's no issue with having sold it as clearly the buyer's solicitor accepted you had good title. However, you may have to pay capital gains tax on the sale because the house wasn't your residence. I can't go into your exact details, but if you use an accountant you shoukd speak with them about the cgt liability.