tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
73598664

I own a piece of land which is presently a car park and which

I own a piece of land which is presently a car park and which is accessible by the neighbours private road. I wish to get planning permission to have 2 or 3 new builds on it so that I can sell it but the land does not have water or sewerage pipes underneath it and these would need to be run underneath the neighbours road. I do not think they would give me permission for this. Is there any way I can have these pipes laid under their road from the High Street to the land without their permission?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

tdlawyer :

In short, no, it's most unlikely you would be able to force the laying of piping etc. without the owner's consent.

tdlawyer :

You might be able to raise some spurious ground, threaten to sue him etc., and see if you can't force him into submission, but needless to say, that's not a proper use of the court system.

Customer:

What do you mean by raising spurious ground and what grounds would there be to sue?

tdlawyer :

basically I mean trying to find some reason to insist that you are entitled to do it by force.

tdlawyer :

Even though I doubt you are.

tdlawyer :

Well, properly speaking, there are no grounds you're likely to win on.

Customer:

That's miserable to hear but thank you any way.