Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

so if there is no contract were i am staying and do not know

Customer Question

so if there is no contract were i am staying and do not know who is the actual owner of the place how do i know if i am paying the right person the rent?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

You can check who the owner of the property is by downloading a copy of the registered title for the property at the land registry, using their “ find a property” service:-
http://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/

If you input the details for the property then download a copy of the register then the person who is noted at section : the “Proprietorship Register” is the owner.

If you are paying rent to someone else then you need to check with the owner that they have given the person authority to collect the rent on their behalf.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what could be behind the reasoning that the lady does not give any of the people living here contracts? maybe this is not registered as rooms to rent? she is the correct owner by he way as i just checked.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

She likes the freedom of renting on a periodic basis and not as assured shorthold tenancies, it's not unusual.

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but shouldnt we have a contract?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

No, there is no legal requirement for you to have a contract. Even if you had an assured shorthold tenancy there would still be no requirement for you to have a written contract because these can also be oral.

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

doesnt this mean that facts like the price agreed per month, funiture, etc can then isnt stated anywhere so then we can change it at any time< like he said 200 a weekand i can say no he said 100 a week,

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

The point is that if there is a disagreement about a term of your agreeement then either party can terminate on giving 1 notice period's notice to quit to the other...

It means that you both have flexibility. However if you want to security you should look elsewhere for and assured shorthold tenancy.

Tom