Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

Do I have to declare my house has suffered from condensation

Do I have to declare my house has suffered from condensation problems with a tenant now I have sold the property
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

What stage in the sale have you reached please?

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am waiting for the buyer to get the survey done . I have filled in the property information form but there was nothing about this on the forms. I have also had a builder look and there is no leaks or water coming in. I have also had the damp course people to look a gain and they all say condensation from the tenants washing machine. This has now all been cleared treated and re decorated at cost of 700 pounds

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

My view is that you should disclose the matter. This is because there is a question in the property information form which states “Have there been or are there any disputes or complaints regarding this property or a property nearby? If Yes, please
give details:”

The damp from the tenant could be regarded as a dispute and therefore I would disclose what has happened.

There is a risk that you could be sued if you did not and if you have had the matter treated/redecorated then this will be satisfactory to the buyer since they could not reasonably expect you to take any additional further action.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom