75100385

Hello Alex, I have another ongoing issue with my old landlord.

Hello Alex,

I have another ongoing issue with my old landlord. I gave back his house back on the 17th April. I am still waiting for him to return my deposit. He refuses to answer any of my calls or emails. I have called all the government deposit schemes to ask if they have any trace of my deposit but none has it. The agency who gave me the house confirmed that it was all passed to the landlord in 2012. We left amicalbly and do not understand why he is acting in such way. I am looking to sue him not only for the amount of my deposit but three times the amount according to deposit scheme law; as he did not protect it in the first place. The amount will come to £5550. I believe it will be too high for small claims. Which court should I use?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Yes it would be a small claims.

Alex Watts :

£10,000 is the small claims limit

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Hi Alex and thanks for your prompt response. Can you confirm that I can sue him for 3 times the amount of my deposit for not protecting it in the first place?

Customer:

thank you.

Alex Watts :

Correct.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else

Customer:

many thanks

Customer:

That will be all thank you.