75100385

Hi,, I have a lease agreement which should end 15/09/14. However,

Hi,,
I have a lease agreement which should end 15/09/14. However, i wish to end it now and i sent the let agent 1 month notice last friday to inform them about my intention to end the contract and the reasons behind this decision is the followings:
- five months ago the ceiling corner stones in the living room started to fall off ( they are really very heavy stones ). This issue was reported to them imediately and they kept promising that they will send a contractor to fix it but unfortunately, nothing has been done and the problem is still there and almost every two weeks there is a new part falls down and there are cracks every where in the ceiling. The falling heavy corner stones are a risk to me and my family as i have 2 kids and in one of the incidents the big falling stone just missed my 1 year old son (Thanks God). This is relly worrying us and we started not to use the living room and spend all our time locked in the bedroom to keep the kids safe as the big stones fall suddenly at any time.
- There is a water leaking in the kitchen roof which is coming from the above apartment and was also reported immediately and repeatedly to them but unfortunately no action has been taken since six months.
I response to my request to end the lease agreement now, they replied to me yesterday that i can only end the lease if i agree to pay one month rent + half month rent + advertising fees (£120).

Bear in mind that i want to end the lease because of there failure to respond to the above critical issues which really put my familys safety at serious risk, is there action is right or should i take the issue to the court as i have already rented another flat which i will move into tomorrow and i started to pay the new rent and can not afford to pay both rents.

Thank you very much for your help.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Do you know the cost of repairs please?
Customer:

no but it is serious damage and not caused by me

Customer:

i have taken pictures of the damaged ceiling

Alex Watts :

Ok - was it just inconvenient.

Customer:

no it was dangerous as the heavy stones fall suddenly while we are sitting in the living room. one time it nearly missed my son. The falling parts are big and heavy and i can assure you that if it falls on an adult head it will cause a very serious injury and will put him unconscious.

Alex Watts : Is the property uninhabitable please or was it just inconvenient?
Customer:

it is uninhabitable

Alex Watts : Ok. In that case you are not liable.
Alex Watts : You can refuse to pay for anything.
Alex Watts : You could also sue for breach of contract.
Alex Watts : This is because the landlord is responsible for all repairs and making sure the house can be lived in.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please a.
Customer:

Thank you very much

Alex Watts : Happy to help. If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer please.
Alex Watts : If the system won't let you please do say.
Alex Watts : If you need further help please click reply.
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience