75100385

I let cottage on a six month short hold tenancy beginning 14th

Customer Question

I let cottage on a six month short hold tenancy beginning 14th of February 2014.
No rent whatsoever has been paid.
A section 8 and section 21 were issued and the case came to court on 2 June 2040.
The judge said that the day prior to the hearing a letter had been received from a Dr saying it was possible that the tenant may not mentally be able to cope with a hearing. The judge then postponed the case and gave the doctor/tenant until 30 June to clarify the tenants mental capacity.
In my view the judge came to a wrong decision. The tenant has a contract which has not been fulfilled. And apart from not paying any rent, they have a dog and several reptiles as pets whereas the contract said no pets and they have dug a pond in the garden. The tenants mental capacity is not my concern am I right?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : You have issued proceedings in the name if the tenant though right?
JACUSTOMER-dumucw89- :

I've issued proceedings section 8 and section 21 and had a hearing on 2 June 2014 is to judges decision I'm questioning

Alex Watts : It's bad news,
Alex Watts : If you issued proceedings and there is a question over mental health then yes it is your convern
Alex Watts : Concern
Alex Watts : The court considers he does not understand or there is a mental health issue the rules state that no step in proceedings may be taken without a litigation friend, court of protection solicitor or the court is satisfied there is no issue.
Alex Watts : So whilst there is nothing you can do at this stage, it is a matter that concerns you.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want a d certainly not the one I want to give you I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

JACUSTOMER-dumucw89- :

I have spoken with another solicitor, and two barristers who specialise in property law in the High Court.

JACUSTOMER-dumucw89- :

I have spoken with a solicitor and two barristers who specialise in property law at the High Court. They all independently state there is no defence to the section 8 notice the tenants are in breach of contract the mental health act does not apply

Expert:  Ash replied 6 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.