Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hello I obtained permission to build a very large double garage,

Customer Question

Hello I obtained permission to build a very large double garage, with accommodation at the back of 1 - 2 rooms at back, stairs & large home office upstairs in June 2013. In March 2014, I started building this, in between my house on my land & the house next-door. The council agree that I can convert this to residential accommodation, but have refused a planning application to heighten the building by 500mm & use the upstairs space as 2 beds & bathroom, & the downstairs as kit, lounge. study & WC/cloaks, because they don't want me to separate the land from the curtilage of the large house. My architect says that if I live in the property for 4 years, this will give automatic permission. Is this true? I want to sell the 2 houses separately, but don't really want to stay there for 4 years, in fact I want to move straightaway. What should I do. I have appealed against the refusal, but it could easily be refused.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?