75100385

I live a house divided into 5 apartments and we run our own

Customer Question

I live in a house divided into 5 apartments and we run our own management company. The property is freehold and the apartments are all leasehold. Each apartment owner pays £50 maintenance money each month to pay bills, maintain and upgrade the property. A few months ago one of the owners expressed concern that the leases' on each apartment were running low on years, approx 80 yrs on each apartment. We all agreed that to get a lower fee from a solicitor it would be a good idea to get all 5 leases done at once. However, the owner who came up with the idea now wants to use the maintenance money to pay for the leases while I am opposed to it as it takes money away from maintaining the property, could you let me know who is right in this case? thank you.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

What does the lease say about extending and fees please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As far as I know the lease says nothing about extending but we are looking to extend to 999 years.
Because we are the freeholders there will be no fees but each individual flat fee is different because of each persons circumstances.
It's quite simple unless the lease states otherwise each person is liable for their own costs. If they want the fees to come out of the general service charge,the tenant must have a clause stating this.

He does not therefore he can not expect this fee to be covered.

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Alex, as you say it is quite simple and I have been trying to explain it to the other tenants for months. I will now take this to the next meeting and hopefully it will be resolved, thanks again for your help, Michael.

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/