Alice H, Solicitor
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
30932268

My next door neighbour refuses to cut down her undergrowth

My next door neighbour refuses to cut down her undergrowth and erect a fence between us, She & her children look into my garden. There is the council wire fence/see through between us) Am I not entitled to some privecy from them? I was tidying my garden the other day & all I was constantly being watched all the time I was busy out there
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.

Alex Hughes :

Is her's a council or private property?

Customer:

She is a council tennent

Alex Hughes :

Is your property private?

Customer:

Yes

Alex Hughes :

And do you know what your deeds say about keeping that fence/boundary in order?

Customer:

It is hers, & is up to her to put up a fence or not.

Alex Hughes :

OK. Your options are somewhat limited unfortunately. Firstly the council, as her 'landlord', has the ultimate responsibility for maintenance. Secondly, there is a right to privacy but any complaint you have must be directed to the council. The tenant has to keep the property in good order but this does not include, for example, constructing fences or some other border to protect your privacy. This is clearly an unhappy situation but your neighbour is not the responsible person - the council is. So long as your neighbour is not causing a nuisancd then you are unlikely to have any legal recourse against her.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything else you would like to know?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've been trying the council since September last year over an issue which is related to the fence problem/& her dog coming into my garden she my neighbour seams to have the council in the palrm of her hands, she the neighbour clicks her fingers & they come running.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK. Its not clear what you're asking. Do you have a question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can I stop them watching me whilst I am tidying up my garden?

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Realistically if the boundary has deteriorated there's probably very little you can do apartfrom keep complaining to the council. Unfortunately you cannot make them avert their eyes or not look across. If it really is causing your distress you could threaten the council with legal action for not maintaining their property. The alternative is to give some thought to putting up a fence or barrier on your side of the property. I would advise against legal action unless you really have to because of the additional costs and stress involved.