LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I am a landlord who wishes to end a fixed term lease early

Customer Question

I am a landlord who wishes to end a fixed term lease early as due to personal circumstances I need to return the UK with my young daughter.

I understand the mandatory grounds that the property can be repossessed under, but I have a question on if the wording in the tenancy agreement could be misleading.

Within the tenancy agreement, under the section of 'Ending this Agreement', the below is written. I would like view if the inclusion of the 'or' at the end of point 19.1 (c) could be seen as misleading that the landlord could recover the property within the fixed term so long as they were the owner/occupier as defined with Ground 1?

19.1 (c) if any of the grounds set out in Schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1988 (as amended) being grounds 1,2,8,10,11,12,13,15 or 17 are made out; or

19.1 (d) in the event that the landlord has been the owner-occupier of the Property and or the property is subject to a mortgage the Landlord hereby gives the Tenant acknowledges receipt of Notice that"

(i) the Landlord has been the owner-occupier of the Property within the meaning of Ground 1 of Schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1988 and possession of the Property may be recovered by the Landlord under the said Ground 1 and
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

So that I can give you a useful answer can you just let me know the following. When did the tenancy start? How long is it or? Is there a break clause? Am I right in thinking it is an assured shorthold tenancy?

LondonlawyerJ :
I think you may have not typed in the whole clause and possibly mistyped so it is hard to answer your question.