Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have tenants in the annex of my property which is a smallholding,

I have tenants in the annex of my property which is a smallholding, there is another property behind that shares our driveway, i have served a section 21 on the tenants that also keep a horse in our stables, i have found out that they have put their horse onto the property behind and since then they have not paid any rent, they know that i can keep the horse as payment if they fail to pay. I asked the people behind why they had let them put the horse on their livery and was told that they had said our stable was leaking, which is not true. I asked them if they would request that the horse be returned to my smallholding, they asked me to write a letter to the tenants requesting the horse be returned to our stables, which i did, in the letter i said the people behind have requested to return the horse back to its stable on our smallholding, I have just been confronted by the neighbour behind in a very aggressive manner that i should not have written the letter in his name, but i was only doing what was requested by him, where do i stand?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Did you write the letter in the person behind name or did you say in the letter from you the person behind had asked?

Did you tell the tenant that you had asked the person behind to ask you to write to the tenant?

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I said in the letter that mr and mrs x have asked me to write to you and finished the letter in my name, i put in the letter that the people behind had asked me to write to them.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
You say that Mr and Mrs X asked to write to them. However you then say that the people behind ask you to write. I assume they are one and the same.

I think there is a breakdown of communication you although it is very difficult to know without being privy to the conversation between you and the people behind.

I only have your version of events to go on and it appears (using your wording) that they asked you to write the letter to the tenants requesting the horse be returned” you haven’t said that the neighbour said “you can say that we asked for it”.

The reality is that this is not something that the court would be interested in and it is not something that the police would be interested in. Whilst the neighbour behind may be annoyed about this, there is nothing I can think of that he could do. It is not being a course of action and therefore it is not harassment.

It is a single event so it is not nuisance.

He has suffered no loss so there’s no claim in negligence.

I think the best you could do would be to give him a verbal apology saying that there is obviously in a breakdown of communication and you’re sorry of its cause him any inconvenience.

It they decided to take you to court, I cannot for one moment think what they could possibly take you to court for based upon what you have told me.