Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I planted a hedgerow on my boundary line some 40 years ago

I planted a hedgerow on my boundary line some 40 years ago with the permission of my
parent who owned the adjacent land. We now have new neighbours who at first thought
that they owned the hedge. When ownership was proven they stated that they would be responsible for the cutting of the hedge on their side. However now after approx 3 years
they have not trimmed or cut the hedge. They are now objecting to me trimming the top side of my hedge and also leaning over the hedge to keep the hedgerow tidy. How do I stand on this matter ??
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Does the neighbour agree that the hedge is on your land?

Is it completely on your land or does it straddle the boundary?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Hedge was planted on my land. The subsequent width growth of the hedge would straddle the boundary

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
If the hedge is entirely on your land you are obviously at liberty to cut your side and the top as far as the boundary.

You cannot compel him to have his side cut and you cannot compel him to have any top growth cut which goes over the boundary.

Is that what you are referring to?

I am sorry if this is bad news for you.