Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

the land behind my house is owned by a housing corporation

Customer Question

the land behind my house is owned by a housing corporation and i have been told that i can not park behind my own house . have they a legal right to do this
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

There are only three ways in which you would be authorised to park your car on the land.

The first is if you had an express grant of a right to park on the area noted on the land registry title to your property. If you are not sure then you can download a copy of your registered title from the following land registry site and check if it is stated anywhere on the title:-
http://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/

The second way is if the land was adopted as a public highway, in which case you would have a right along with every other member of the public to park there. I assume this is not the case.

The third way is if you had acquired a right to park there by prescription. This is where you have previously parked on the land for a period of 20 years. If you have, then you should see a solicitor about applying to the land registry to have this right noted on your title.

If neither of the above applies, then unfortunately you cannot compel the housing corporation to let you park there if they are not willing.

I am sorry that I could not have slightly better news for you.

Kind regards,

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.

Kind regards,

Tom