UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have a tenant who wanted to move to another property of mine. They

Customer Question

I have a tenant who wanted to move to another property of mine.
They signed the new tenancy agreement and should have moved yesterday (16th) , however now they are saying they are not moving.
Am I legally entitled to say that they should move as not legally entitled to stay. I have given them a six month tenancy on new property and know legally I cannot serve notice until after the six months.
I have someone else lined up for their property.
How do I stand legally. They are claiming Housing Benefit and papers have gone in for new tenancy.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You may ask them to move to the new property as agreed but you cannot evict them if they refuse to move out of the current property unless you go through the legal eviction procedure through the courts.

They can always inform the council that they have decided not to move and continue claiming housing benefit for the current property.

You may try and get the new tenants to move into your other property or turn them away even though they have signed a tenancy agreement.

May I help further?