Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

If you know there are people are not the legal owners of the

Customer Question

If you know there are people are not the legal owners of the building you are living in and they are taking money from all the tenants saying they are the landlord because i have checked the owner of the property by downloading a copy of the registered title for the property at the land registry, where do you go to report them? And if they are threatening you?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok i live in a house with other tenants and the people that claim to own this house and the 4 next to it, are not the real owners as i have checked the owner of the property by downloading a copy of the registered title for the property at the land registry. This is why we keep asking for agreement/contract and they never bring it, they always threatening with me with credit rating and putting my things out on street. how can i report them? where do i do that?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
With regard to the threats they have made, I suggest you report those to the police. Even if you do owe this money they are still not allowed to make those threats to you. It is harassment and you are entitled to protection from harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act.

They can ask you once and tell you that if you don't pay up they will issue legal proceedings and if you don't pay up they should issue legal proceedings.

They cannot keep asking you for the money otherwise that continued contact is harassment.

My suggestion would be to print off a spare copy of the deeds of the Freehold from the land registry and show them and ask them on what basis they are asking you for this money. Tell them that you not going to pay them anything whatsoever until such time as they prove they are entitled to this money and if they contact you again, you will go to the police.

They are actually demanding money with menaces and that actually constitutes blackmail. It constitutes blackmail even if you over the money! That is a police matter.

There is nowhere that you actually go to report these people to other than the police under the Protection from Harassment Act which I mentioned earlier or the police can, if they continue, serve a restraining order on them.