Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

HelloMy parents flat is one of 4 in a house. In the last

Customer Question

My parents' flat is one of 4 in a house. In the last year my father has died and mum is in a home and we are preparing the flat fore rental to pay for her care. The land the house is built on is in a prime location and would be a developer's dream to build on. In the last year 3 people who know eachother have managed to acquire the other three flats in the house. They have now asked twice if we would sell our flat to them. This has coincided with the need for redecoration etc to the exterior which may include a new roof .The three other freeholders with our consent appointed a surveyor to survey the property and put out to tender for the works. His report back actually recommended the lowest bid or the second highest bid , however the three other freeholders went for the highest bid ( a good £50,000 more ) and did not even deign to meet with us face to face to discuss this.We have 1/4 share in the property but feel they are running roughshod over us and trying to force us out by putting financial pressure on us knowing that they have the majority vote. They have now sent us a solicitors letter saying all stages of consultation have been complied with and requesting our share of the money for the refurbishment. This includes redecorating the internal common parts which were only done a year ago before they all moved in and which we paid for . Any ideas how we should proceed or are we sitting ducks?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, i just go this! I can't wait any longer for an answer. Would you kindly refund my deposit. Many thanks. Judith XXXXXXX