Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

I want to rent a flat, offered to pay 6 months in advance.

I want to rent a flat, offered to pay 6 months in advance. The move in date is in August. I haven't signed any contract. I haven't met the landlord, all is dealt with an agent. Do I need to pay all the 6 months rent now as in June? Can I sign the contract without meeting the landlord? Thank you.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

As to the 6 months payable in advance, it is simply a matter for negotiation. If the landlord will absolutely only accept 6 months in advance then you have to either take it or leave it. If you are able to negotiate to pay monthly or quarterly then you can pay this way.

You can sign the contract without meeting the landlord, there is no legal requirement for you to physically meet the landlord but I would ask for confirmation of the address at which they can be contacted through the agent.

If the agent has a full management agreement with the landlord then they can also sign the tenancy on their behalf and it would be legally binding. If you wish to have further time to think about it then you should not sign for this reason.

Regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your answer.

The agent asked me to pay all the 6 months rent and sign the contract now, which is two months before the move in date. Am I obliged to do it now?

Yuki

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

You are only legally obliged to pay what you agree to pay. There are no legal requirements apart from those that you agree to when you negotiate/bargain as to how you pay your rent.

If you don't want to pay the 6 months say that you won't pay it and propose an alternative frequency of payment.

If they don't agree or negotiate then you will quite simply have to take it or leave it.

Kind regards,

Tom