Alice H, Solicitor
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
30932268

A house next to a local shop has erected a sign forbidding

A house next to a local shop has erected a sign forbidding parking across their drive and threatening to tow any car away that is parked across their drive. Is this legal?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.

Alex Hughes :

Are you asking if the sign is legal or the towing away?

Customer:

Both !

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would appreciate an answer not just another question.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning

This is a very interesting question!

It is unlawful to block someone's drive; its a contravention of the Highway Code and the Road Traffic Acts. Most councils have a policy in place to remove any obstructions especially if there is a dropped kerb to the driveway. So putting up a sign asking that a driveway is not blocked is not wrong.

A private person has no right to clamp or tow-away a car parked on private land. A wheel-clamping company has no right to do this on a public road either. BUT if the car is blocking a driveway unlawfully (as mentioned above) then the local council usually has a procedure in place to remove the offending vehicle.

Therefore, it is not wrong or illegal to put up a notice in the manner you've described to stop offending vehicles blocking a driveway.

Does this answer your question? Can I assist further?