Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

I have juat bought a semi detached house by the side of my

Customer Question

I have juat bought a semi detached house by the side of my house built up against my wall is a shed which i was told belonged to me. the drive way past my house and the land in front of it is communal ground. i am a director but also I have a lease as the rest of the building is divided into 5 flats each one of the owners a director. I have a letter from the previous owner stating that he put the shed up 15 years ago. I bought his house on 7 6 2014. I was told by one of the other flat owners that they have demolished the shed with out even telling me. do i have the right to have it reinstated.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

Did the other flat owner demolish the shed because they believed it was on their land?

Is the shed in the demise of your lease? Was the shed included in the particulars of your purchase/sale?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the back of the shed was my house wall but the drive it sits on is communal land which is shared by all 6 properties including mine.

when supplied with copies of the management meetings no body mentioned that the shed should be taken down.

The shed is not mentioned in my lease its for 923 years however the seller included it in his law society fittings and contents form which he signed

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry just to clarify, could the shed have been folded up and moved elsewhere or was it physically connected to the land?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it was a wooden shed which sat on the land, the owner put it up 15 years ago

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Even if you were putting the shed on this land without permission to just remove it after 15 years without permission is potentially criminal damage.

In my opinion you should be considering suing the leaseholder who did this in order to buy you a new shed.

Have you spoken to the seller and asked if there were any previous arguments over the shed?

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ