Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

My next door neighbour is intending to extend his home by adding

Customer Question

My next door neighbour is intending to extend his home by adding a bedroom over his garage - one of the windows seems likely to overlook our garden which has always been previously hidden from view. Am I in a position to object and does planning permission have to obtained?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

If you look at the Planning Portal:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/
This gives you the guidelines that are required to be able to build an extension without planning permission.

Has the neighbor started the works or even suggested that Planning Permission will need to be applied for?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Work hasn't yet started - cannot access "Planning Portal"

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Have a look at this link -

www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/

If he has to obtain planning permission, you will have an opportunity to object at that stage. If the project does not require planning permission then there is nothing you can do other than ask him not to include that window.

I suspect this will require Planning Permission as you are talking about turning a garage into a dwelling house. If does the works regardless then he will either have to apply for retrospective planning permission or he will be served with an enforcement notice required him to tear it down.

I would just enquire from the off whether he intends to apply for planning permission. If you do that he may be more inclined to include you in the plans?

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ