LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

If tenant moved in to the property in 1986 but the property

If tenant moved in to the property in 1986 but the property at that time was a hotel is he qualified to be a sitting tenant?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 yeasr experience I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Can you just tell me did he occupy the premises as a tenant or as hotel guest? Did hr have exlcusive possesion of his room/flat and control over who entered it. Did the hotel staff enter on a regular basis enter it to clean and tidy etc. In short was it a hotel in reality or an arrangement to hide a tenancy.

Customer:

Hello.

Customer:

I am in the process of buying this property and have raised this questions to the landlord. However, it was her partner who bought the building in 1993, and she doesnt know all the details as her partner passed away 4 years ago.

Customer:

I can provide you with the following information

Customer:

Until 1994 the property was run as bed and breakfast and also was used to accommodate temporarily homeless people

Customer:

He had an exclusive possession of his room. His room has a shower but he is sharing a toilet and kitchen with other tenants

Customer:

The hotel staff (concierge, cleaner) didn't enter his room on a regular basis.

Customer:

They only cleaned communal areas( toilets, kitchens)

LondonlawyerJ :

OK. Thankyou for that. I am at court at the moment but will get back to you in detail later.

LondonlawyerJ :

The occupier will probably be a regulated tenant if he moved in before 15 January 1989, and

• he paid rent to a private landlord, and

• he had control over his home, so that his landlord and other people cannot come in whenever they want to, and

• the landlord did not live in the same building, and

• He do not receive board or other services such as cleaning.