LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

Im at my wits end with my neighbours. For years they have

I'm at my wits end with my neighbours. For years they have continued to cut my hedge. As their property is on a higher level this allows them privacy but denies me mine. On a visual level it is clear that the hedge was planted on my side of the boundary. I had an expensive survey carried out and this too showed that the roots are within my boundary. My neighbours have turned into loud, aggressive people over this and I have contacted the police twice recently, as advised by my solicitor last year. I cannot afford to go back to my solicitor. My goal though is to re-establish my privacy: can I remove my hedge and replace it with a fence? Do I need to inform my neighbours prior to the work being carried out? I have no intention of going beyond the legal limit in height. My neighbours will not suffer loss of sunlight as any shadows will be cast over my ground.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a lawyer with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Your neighbours can cut the hedge to the extent that it overhangs their gardenbut have no right to touch the parts of the hedge on yur side of the boundary.

LondonlawyerJ :

There is no reason why you cannot erect a fence on your property. There is nor such thing as a right to light so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

LondonlawyerJ :

You don't need to inform them unless the workers need access to their property t carry out work. Whether it is a good idea to tell them in advance is a judgement call for you.