wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

Hi..My elderly parents have a dispute with their neighbour

Customer Question

Hi..My elderly parents have a dispute with their neighbour on who is responsible for cutting and maintaining the yew hedge between their properties...The Hedge is on the neighbours boundary side and planted years ago...The neighbour thinks the responsibility lies with my parents to cut the hedge on their side and they cut it on their side....As my parents are elderly they have a gardner now who cut the hedge last year and they obviously had to pay for the pleasure....I am certain my parents are not responsible for the neighbours hedge,am I right...Also my parents are more than happy for the neighbours to come round and cut the hedge...The neighbour has basically told them that they will maintain their side but not my parents side...
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.

wingrovebuyer :

Hello. This is quite simple - you are correct. If the hedge is the neighbour's, and grows fromtheir side of the boundary, then it is their responsibility. Your parents are entitled to cut overhanging branches, but can require the neighbour to do this as technically it is a trespass.