75100385

I changed home insurance providers on 1/6/2014 after many years

I changed home insurance providers on 1/6/2014 after many years with another firm simply on costs. I have now discovered a water leak which has resulted in damage and costs to rectify. The problem only became evident to me a lay person on 29/6/2014. My current insurers are now saying they might decline my claim on the grounds that the leak might have started when I was with the old company. That may be true but I have no idea.
I only discovered it now. My questions are: Are they right? If so will my old insurers decline also and have I any recourse whatsoever. It looks like the costs to rectify all damage could be around £2000 less a £250 excess. Advice before I lose my temper would be much appreciated.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Does your new policy cover repairs when discovered of when they occurred? What does it say in the policy detail please?

Customer:

It does not state anything timewise just that one needs to report any event asap when it occurs which to my mind means when I discover it.

Alex Watts : Yes I would agree.
Alex Watts : Therefore they can not deny any claim.
Alex Watts : If they do you can raise a formal complaint with the insurers.
Alex Watts : if that is not resolved then you can go to the Ombudsman at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk
Alex Watts : But I can not see how they can deny liability if their terms do not exclude it.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?