LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

My wall at the side of the house forms the boundary between

Customer Question

My wall at the side of the house forms the boundary between my house (No 45) and the next door house (No 47). Both buildings are 2* listed. The boundary in the garden is marked by a row of bricks laid on edge.
Recently my neighbour and I agreed to erect a fence along the boundary. When I said I wanted a gate to enable me to have access to my wall, my neighbour said she did not want access to her property by anybody (at present her property is freely accessible from the garden). I tried to change her mind but she was adamant - if I wanted access to my wall, I would have to come through her house - she would give me a key.
This is grossly inconvenient - apart from the rights of the case, I am disabled (aged 85) and would not want to have to make a long detour.
What are my legal rights regarding access? As far as I am aware, there is no easement. When my wife and I moved in 11 years ago, there was no question of access - the neighbouring property was wide open. An extension was however built 3-4 years ago and now there is a space about 3m wide between my house and the extension. The question of access has never arisen before.
I should be grateful to know what I can do.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor of over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

I don't quite understand your question, which wall is it you want access to through the fence?