wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

Builders working on a second storey extension next door have

Builders working on a second storey extension next door have drilled into the side wall of our property to affix a large plank of wood as support for roof joists. Are they allowed to do this?
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.

wingrovebuyer :

Hello. Simple answer - no. This is trespass and you can demand the supports are removed. If you don't, you risk the wall being deemed a party wall which limits what you can do.

Customer: Who can I call in to intervene if they won't stop work? The drilling has already been carried out. Are they obliged to make good?
wingrovebuyer :

Yes they are. I suggest you speak to your neighbour and ask for the supports to be removed and made good. If they refuse,

wingrovebuyer :

Put it in writing and say they have 7 days or you will seek an injunction.

Customer: Neighbour is an absent landlord. The house is a student let. Past experience tells me that he will not enter into a conversation with me.
wingrovebuyer :

Ok, well put it in writing as above. If he fails to comply I suggest you will have to see through on the threat and get an injunction. Also, speak to the builders and tell them to remove the supports and make good. They're likely to call the owner and tell him to sort it out with you.

Customer: Many hanks. Very helpful.