LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

my landlord said I have to have the chimneys swept as I have

my landlord said I have to have the chimneys swept as I have been burning logs and he doesn't want ash falling down when the new tenants move in. I have lived there 3 years. am I responsible
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I .am a lawyer with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Can you give me a little more information please? Are you leaving the property. Was there anything in the tenancy agreement about use of the chimneys. Is there any reason why you should not burn logs in your fireplace?

Customer:

I am leaving. nothing in the contract said anything about the fireplaces. we asked the landlord about them and he just said they are working. the hadn't just been swept when we moved in .

LondonlawyerJ :

In that case I would say that you are not responsible for this. Is your deposit held in a deposit guarantee scheme?

Customer:

no. I think he is trying to get out of giving it back though we will see. thank you for your help

Customer:

can you give me an idea how to tell him it is not my responsibility

Customer:

I don't know what a guarantee scheme is

Customer:

oh sorry it is in a gurantee scheme. what does that mean.

LondonlawyerJ :

It means that your landlord has placed your deposit in care of an independent body and cannot simply withhold it. You should tell him that all you have done is used the chimney in a reasonable and predictable manner. You do not accept it is blocked at all and that you refuse/decline to have the chimney's swept as it is not your responsibility to do so. If the landlord wants to have it swept then fine but that is as a result a fair wear and tear and therefore not down to you.

Customer:

Thank you so much for helping an old person out. iris