75100385

Good Morning! I live in a privately rented flat, and since

Customer Question

Good Morning!

I live in a privately rented flat, and since February we don't have hot water. I tried numerous times to get the situation sorted one way or another, but to no avail so far. The building is profesionally managed, hence they are in charge with any repairs the comunal boilers might need. The letting agent managing our flat on behalf of the landlord was unable or unwilling to do anything in terms of reducing rent, providing alternative options in getting hot water or any help on the matter. The last I heard from them was that I am free to move, but that would be at my own expence... I would like to know what my legal rights are , or what options do I really have.
Thank you very much.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : The Landlord and Tenant act requires that you are provided with water, if they do not then the landlord is in breach or contract.
Alex Watts : It makes no different whose fault it is and it may well be the building is being managed poorly.
Alex Watts : You are entitled to move out straight away and claim those costs from the landlord.
Alex Watts : You are entitled to claim any higher rent if charged if you move for what would have been the remaining term
Alex Watts : You are entitled to sue for loss and damage and seek compensation against the landlord.
Alex Watts : You should also ask for a reduction. If the agents do not give it you could sue the landlord for compenation for all the time you have been without water.
Alex Watts : In short they are required by law to make sure you have water.
Alex Watts : If not you ca. She
Alex Watts : If not you can sue for breach of contract and claim for all losses flowing from that.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Thank you very much. Things are quite clear.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex!

I spent the whole day trying to reason with the letting agent. Their only answer is that they allow me to move, at my own expence. What happens if I withhold rent?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex!

If you with hold you can be evicted after several months.