UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello, We have put up a garden gate in the boundary fence at

Customer Question

Hello, We have put up a garden gate in the boundary fence at the bottom of our garden, the boundary fence is owned by 6 houses at the back of our property and the gate was to allow one of the residence of the 6 houses access to our garden as we both have children and it was deemed a safer and more convenient route for us. The gate is on the existing boundary line and opens into our garden. Several residence have complained and are talking about asking us to remove it. How do we stand legally with this. Many thanks in advance for your advice.

I also wanted to add that it is on to a private road owned by the 6 houses.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid as you do not own the fence you are not permitted to erect the gate without their permission and you would need to remove it if they ask you to do so.

It is not enough that one of the residences will get access to your garden for the kids to play, as there are others who also own the fence and their consent is also required.

If they vote against the gate, you will have to remove it.

May I help further?