75100385

I need some help with a N5b accelearated possession form please-

Customer Question

I need some help with a N5b accelearated possession form please- there are a couple of sections that I need someone to check over?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Sure, can you email it to:***@******.***

Alex Watts :

It can take around 24 hours for it to be forwarded to me as an expert from admin

Customer:

thanks will do

Alex Watts :

Ok great

Customer:

oh you are around- shall I go through it now or would you rather I send you the list of Qs to that email address?

Alex Watts :

Put the questions here, as I am on and offline

Alex Watts :

Number them and I can answer each one

Customer:

OK. ... I am looking at form N5b for accelerated possession. To be honest I am not too sure we will get anywhere with it but we are going to give it a go... So, Q3 am I right in thinking that I need to cross out the bits that come after OR (tenancy agreement being made after 15 Jan 89) given that our first agreement was Jan09 and then July 10?

Alex Watts :

When was the period for how long please?

Customer:

q5- this was served by TNT, proof of signature provided, through Legal 4 Landlords. What details do I need to give in the box that asks who served it- TNT's or the legal person's name and address? They have sent me the proof of service form, all completed. q7- we did not protect the deposit but returned it before we issued the Section 21 so I have said yes to deposit received after April 07 and then No to whether it was protected and then No to receiving a property as a deposit. The plan is to say in the attached witness statement that we returned teh deposit "With regard to the tenancy deposit, I state that the deposit was returned to the defendant on xxx/xxx/xxxx, ie before the service of section 21 notice as required by section 215(2A)(a) of the 2004 Housing Act" and attach the bank transaction proof. Finally... and this is the very dodgy bit, our 2nd agreement was for 60 months (due to stupidity and kindness... no.. stupidity on our part). Before signing it, we wrote to say we woudl offer the 60 months but with a break clause that we can terminate the tenancy with 5 months notice and teh tenants with 3 months notice. We attached the letter with the break clause to the agreement when it was signed, 2 months later. In teh agreement we also explained that the rent would increase by 2.5% a year. The tenants have observed the agreement by conduct by increasing the rent and, this Jan, saying taht they wanted their 5 months notice before they would leave. So we returned the deposi ton Jan 30th, issued the S21 on teh 31st giving 5 months notice, and this notice expires on Thursday. But of course they are not prepared to go anywhere!! Sorry this is sooooo long. DO you think it is worth trying the accelerated possession route?

Alex Watts :

Thanks for this.

Alex Watts :

No, I don't think you can apply for this via the accelerated route.

Customer:

The first agreement was for 6 months from Jan 09 to July 10, the second agreement was from July 2010 to July but with the break clause I described earlier, attached to the TA.

Customer:

Hmmm.... I feared you would say that.

Alex Watts :

This is for a standard AST that has come to an end and the Landlord wants possession or arrears

Alex Watts :

You need to apply via the standard route and there will be a hearing

Alex Watts :

Problem with an accelerated route it is all on the papers

Alex Watts :

If the Judge has ANY questions or query then he has to dismiss the claim

Alex Watts :

He can't set it down for a hearing

Alex Watts :

All paperwork has to be perfect, slightest error it is dismissed

Alex Watts :

But with a normal possession claim you can rectify errors and answer any questions the Judge may have

Alex Watts :

It takes longer but there is far less risk

Customer:

where do you think the biggest stumbling block would be?

Alex Watts :

The question about notice and the 2.5% etc

Alex Watts :

I think you should do this via the standard route.

Alex Watts :

But you should get a hearing within 28 days anyway

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Right.... We are hoping to do this as litigant in person (ha ha I can hear you laughing!)- is there a form I need to complete for a standard hearing?

Alex Watts :

Generally you can do it online: https://www.possessionclaim.gov.uk/pcol/

Alex Watts :

Or its form n5 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n005-eng.pdf

Customer:

OK great. Thanks for your help!

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer

Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you please do say

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Customer:

Great I will take a look at N5 - thank you. Yes will do- thanks.

Customer:

Thank you- I think you have clarified things enormously. Many many thanks.

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

Happy to help

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to come back- but if we are now going to go down the N5 route, should we be serving a Section 8 first? Our primary reason for wanting to evict was nuisance and unauthorised changes but were advised to go with s21 rather than S8. Would the fact that they have ingored the S21 and are still there, taht they are not letting us inspect and that they are ignoring all communication, need to be cited on the N5? I have gone on the web address you sent me but that's for arrears it seems, which has not been an issue in our case

You can serve section 8 for breaches and s21 if you just want to end it,