75100385

HI, I moved into a flat and so far the landlord has done nothing

HI,
I moved into a flat and so far the landlord has done nothing to rectify may faults.
I have replaced all window seals, spent £200 on cleaning the carpets, repaired bro***** *****robe that was falling apart, put up nice glass shelves (removable) in the bathroom, replaced a toilet seat etc...
The washer drier (15 years old) here was rubbish and did not wash properly so I bought a new one for £900, I bought it meaning to keep the old broken one but the installers put my old one on the street and it was stolen.
The landlord is refusing to come to an arrangement regarding the washer drier that must have had a residual value of £100. He will I think try to make an exaggerated claim on my deposit. I am happy to take it all to court and ask for costs to be awarded as he is wasting my time and simply not doing anything in the flat.
What should I do ? he wants my new machine but that is ridiculous.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer:

I want the landlord to come to his senses...
He has done very little to address the multitude of problems with the flat and I am sick of the disrespect he is showing.

Alex Watts :

Do you know the cost of getting the repairs done?

Customer:

Obviously it seems to me he wants to make an inflated claim against the deposit I will happily take this to court, it's not the money I have already offered to come to an agreement on the residuary value or have a second hand machine installed. He seem to not communicate.
I have been here for 7 months and he has still not fixed a leaking bath (drains in 5 minutes) or the patio furniture which is brown and unusable, I sent a furious letter to the agent saying I was going to go to court.
I don't ned the flat so I am not in awe of the landlord. MY family solicitors who the family have used for generations charge well over £200 an hour so I was wondering if threatening legal action with costs awarded might do the trick as I said it's not the money its the total disrespect.

Customer:

a few hundred quid.

Customer:

I've done most of it myself as I said window seals cost £130

Customer:

carpet cleaning £200

Customer:

etc

Alex Watts :

Ok - well make sure you have a lot of photos of the damage and receipts for all repairs.

Customer:

the washing machine is annoying me

Alex Watts :

Do you want to claim your costs back?

Customer:

no

Alex Watts :

But you wont need a Solicitor if you have spent less than £10,000 as it would be a small claim

Customer:

culdnt care less

Alex Watts :

Ok - so what do you want to do? I don't quite understand

Customer:

he won't agree to an amount on the machine, the old one was 15 years old

Customer:

at least

Customer:

he has juststated he wants the new one

Customer:

which is cheaky

Alex Watts :

Well you wouldn't be responsible for that anyway

Customer:

in what way ?

Alex Watts :

Lets assume the life expectancy was 20 years

Alex Watts :

Then its had 15 years

Alex Watts :

At the most it would only be 1/4 of that

Alex Watts :

Not old for new etc

Alex Watts :

But I dont understand what your question of me is today?

Customer:

yes this is what I keep saying

Customer:

I want him to agree now not later

Alex Watts :

Ok - well if he does not agree, sadly you have to wait until the end of term

Customer:

its kind of fraudulent to make exaggerated claims on a deposit, I know they all do it but it is fraud and I don't like it

Alex Watts :

Then, I assume your deposit has been protected, any dispute can be through the scheme

Alex Watts :

Then you need to get evidence NOW of what the state of the property is like and repairs done

Customer:

the scheme isn't fit for purpose, one landlord I had lied and got half of it the adjudicator even did not take note of my photographic evidence and there is no appeal... just stupid

Alex Watts :

Then you could always issue proceedings for the deposit

Customer:

If I did that and get solicitors in can I have costs awarded ? It may a good deterrent for the landlord to wake up.

Customer:

The costs would be about £1,500 - £2,000

Alex Watts :

Whats the total value of any claim?

Customer:

well they have been so dishonest I suppose they might take the whole lot... maybe £3,000

Alex Watts :

That would be a small claim, you can't claim costs, neither could they

Customer:

I mean claim costs against them ?

Alex Watts :

Not as a small claim no

Customer:

ah ?

Alex Watts :

Anything else I can help with?

Customer:

No guess thats it

Alex Watts :

Ok - if I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you please do say

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience