75100385

I live on a private lane which is owned and maintained by the

I live on a private lane which is owned and maintained by the nine households sharing it. I own the land running along the side of the lane. Whose responsibility is it to clear the overgrowth between my fence and the lane? Thank you.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Who owns the land from the fence to the lane? Someone must own it

Alex Watts :

Whoever is the owner of that land is responsible for clearing overgrowth

Alex Watts :

It may be that part of the land is jointly owned which means that cost is shared

Alex Watts :

But someone must own that strip of land

Alex Watts :

Whoever owns the strip is responsible

Alex Watts :

Customer:

If I knew who owned the very narrow strip of land I wouldn't need to ask my question. Who is more likely to own it? The owner of the land or the owners of the lane?

Alex Watts :

The land owners.

Alex Watts :

Normally people own up to a fence.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Are you saying that the owners of the lane would normally own up to the fence? This is really all I want to know. I realise you can't be 100% over this but would just like to know if there is a good chance the owners of the lane own up to the fence?

Alex Watts : Yes the owners would normally own up to the fence
Alex Watts : Does that clarify ?
Customer:

Yes. this is what I thought. Thank you very much.