LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

i moved into my house 45yrs ago with my mum and dad. my dad

i moved into my house 45yrs ago with my mum and dad. my dad worked for the private landlord we rent our house from. the tenancy is so old we dont have a tennancy agreement. my mum an dad moved out in 1981 and i took over the tennancy and have been here ever since. my landlord has now approched me asking if i would consider surrendering my tennancy to them. my house is worth in the region of £700.0000. my landlord has offered me £74,500.000. becouse of my age i would need the buy another property outright. obviously this is not enough money for me to be able to do this. if i decide to sell what sort of money would i be entitled to or if i decide to stay is there any way he can kick me out
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor wth over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this. Does your landlord accept that you are a protected tenant.

Customer:

yes. they also state in their offer letter that they are otherwise willing to let the tenancy run under its present arrangement.

Customer:

they also use the term 'until vacant is achieved' when mentioning that they will maintain the tenancy

LondonlawyerJ :

I am busy this morning but will answer later today.

Customer:

I am still awaiting answer

LondonlawyerJ :

The usual starting point for an offer of payment to a tenant in your situation is the difference between the value of the property with you in it and the value with you not in it. You will need to check with a local estate agent but I suspect that this will be a higher figure than £74,500.00.

LondonlawyerJ :

Until vacant is achieved essentially means when you become too ill or infirm to live there or die.

LondonlawyerJ :

If you follow this link you will see that it is very difficult for your landlord to get possession of the property http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting/private_renting_agreements/regulated_tenancies