75100385

Hello, I have recently evicted some tenants from a house

I have recently evicted some tenants from a house due to unpaid rent. The tenancy was a joint tenancy with 6 students and their guarantors. One of the student did not pay his rent for 5 months and now we are using the deposit to offset the outstanding rent. However, the other tenants did not agree with this. So we started a single claim process.
I believe that in the end of the day, we will get the rent. My question is: if the 5 tenants who have paid their share of rent decided to take the one tenant who has not paid his rent to court, are we liable to provide information about this particular tenant and his guarantor? Are we liable to provide evidence that this tenant has not paid his rent? I would rather get the rent and stay in peace, than getting involved with their case.
Would really appreciate if you could help with this questions. Thank you.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : You are only able to disclose information about the remaining tenant and guarantor if they agree or there is a court order for dislosure.
Alex Watts : no other circumstance.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Hi Alex,

Customer:

Thank you for answering my questions. I looked at my question again, and realised that I may not make things clear. The 6 students had a joint tenancy with us. We have evicted them all due to unpaid rent. Upon eviction, 5 of them have cleared their share of overdue rent, and left one tenant owing £3k+. Their total deposit is £4k+, so we have started a single claim through the deposit protection service. Now the 5 tenants are asking the contact details of the tenant who has not paid his share of rent.

Customer:

I assume your answer is the same, which is I am not supposed to release any information to the 5 tenants unless it's been agreed by the tenant and his guarantor?

Customer:

Alex Watts :

Yes sadly it is the same, you need a Court Order.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?