75100385

Hi Alex, Following my last question I have received further

Hi Alex,
Following my last question I have received further communications from
the previous lawyer and the letter has-
WITHOUT PREJUDICE SAVE AS TO COSTS - what does this mean ?
Steven
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : This simply means you can't use it in court. You can not refer to it. But it should be only in connection with settling the matter
Alex Watts : Everything written can't just be blanket without prejudice.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?
Customer:

So does it mean that everything else in the letter can't be used in court or against me.

Customer:

apart from the costs that are incurred by the other side which they can still sue me for

Alex Watts : Nothing in the letter can be used.
Alex Watts : Clear
Alex Watts : Clearly it does not stop litigation and costs if the matter is not a small claim
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?
Customer:

Not quite , so if I settle they can still sue me ?

Alex Watts : no.
Alex Watts : If its accepted that is the end of the matter.
Alex Watts : Does that help?
Customer:

I will have to read the letter in greater depth and will come back to you tomorrow.

Alex Watts : ok.
Alex Watts : But if you accept an offer in full and final settlement, you can't be sued
Alex Watts : It would be an abuse of process and the claim would be struck out.
Alex Watts : I hope that helps.
Customer:

they are trying to get me to hand over a piece of land that they say was theirs , but remained in my name

Customer:

when sold to them and they are saying unless I sign it over to them , the pending sale they have will not go through.therefore they will sue me for loss of sale and all costs relating to it.

Alex Watts : If its yours then its yours. They can't sue for loss because they can get another one. If its yours then they have no claim
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?