UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

How long is a reasonable time for a letting agency to have

How long is a 'reasonable time' for a letting agency to have items in a rented flat. ie bed and fridge.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Son moved into a flat (newish) fully furnished. Did inventory found built in fridge not working correctly then a few days latter found bed broken. Still waiting for the bed and fridge to be replace. My sons back now due to bed it hurting. I just wanted to know how long should he expect to have no fridge or bed . Is there a time limit.

There is no set time limit for this but your son may write a letter to the agent and give them say until 20th July 2014 to replace the broken bed and fridge and if not done, that your son will replace these items and deduct their cost from the next rent payable.

If possible, your son should send quotes/prices for replacement bed and fridge so the agent knows what the cost will be and how much will be deducted from the rent if they do not replace the items themselves.

Your son should also write about his bad back in the letter so the agent knows how serious the issue is.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a risk of him been evicted if he gets the items himself and deducts it from his rent. The agent has informed the landlord after our constant nagging but it took several weeks for her to give the ok for replacements but that was 11 days ago and nothing.

I was going to write again saying and say that my son would replace the items but was worried about eviction

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you reply to last question please
Any eviction must go through the courts and your son may oppose any such proceedings to evict him on the grounds that he acted reasonably in doing what he did.

Hope this clarifies.