Alice H, Solicitor
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
30932268

Qusestion under the Data Peotection Act. 4 tenants live in

Customer Question

Qusestion under the Data Peotection Act. 4 tenants live in a property with one tenancy agreement. The agreement is now coming to an end and three of the tenants are unable to contact the fouth tenant despite making every effort to contact him regarding arrears of rent,unpaid utility bills and cleaning bills. The tenancy agreement lists details of the Guarantors but can we as Letting Agents give the telephone number of this difficult tenants guarantor to the lead tenant in pursuit of the unpaid bills. Many Thanks
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

s.35 Data Protection Act states that personal data is exempt from the rules if disclosure is required for the purpose of bringing or defending a claim or exercising legal rights.

If the other tenants make a written request for disclosure of this information quoting s.35 then you will have to make disclosure.

I hope this assists.