wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

Hi, we are going to be carrying out a loft conversion including

Hi, we are going to be carrying out a loft conversion including a new roof, we don't have the best relationship with our neighbour but we need to put a small section of scaffolding on her land to complete the work, we also need to access the side of the house on her land to render the brickwork and paint. The main issue we have is she has a lean to from the side of her house right upto and touching our guttering, the support bars also touch the side of our house. They are not attached from what I can see but they will be in the way of the new render. What are my rights to access and also can I make her remove the lean too so we can complete our work
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi yes I'm happy to wait thanks
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello. You are entitled to access under the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992. However, this is only where the wlrk required is for repairs and maintenance, not new works. If scaffolding is for a new roof, that should be ok. If the neighbour objects, you will have to go to court for an Order for access under the Act. With regards ***** ***** lean to, would this be easy to move?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks for the advice re the scaffolding and roof. The lean to would be easy to tKe down but not as easy to out back up as the alterations will make the house wall wider due to the rendering, the supports that are leaning on on my wall are also concreted I to the ground on my side of the boundary so I'm not sure if that is allowed?
Thanks steve
It sounds like the lean to is trespassing on your property. How long has it been in place?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's been there since before we purchased the property which is nearly three years ago. How long before that I don't know.
If it's been there over 10 years, there may be an issue. However, if under 10 years it may constitute a trespass and you can demand that it is removed.
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience: Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience