Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I paid a deposit on a house I left the house after three months

I paid a deposit on a house I left the house after three months I could not live there any more the agent has given it to the other tenants That was there I did not sign any thing to come off of of the contract can you help me thank you
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Were you able to leave lawfully after three months?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My grand son left after three months it was very hard to live there his rent was paid up until then he was the only one that paid the deposit the had no money he thought it was a good idea when he left the moved in another tenant
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Ok.
What type of contract was he on please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Six months
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thats bad news I'm afraid.
How do you know it was returned to the other tenants?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My grandson spoke to the agent this evening and he told him To sort it out with the other tenants I do not want my grandson to go near them thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My grandson spoke to the agent this evening and he told him To sort it out with the other tenants I do not want my grandson to go near them he was the one that paid the deposits
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
No, I do see that but the difficulty is that he left without any rights to do so it would seem.
If this was a six month contract then it was almost certainly an AST and he had no lawful grounds to leave for this reason. Therefore he would be liable at court for the remaining months due under the contract until the landlord can find a replacement and also, in fact, does not have a claim to the deposit.
If the deposit has been returned then he can always sue the other tenants for the sum owed to him but if they had to pay extra under the AST to make up for the loss of him then the risk is that they may counter claim for that sum.
Of course, that does depend upon the landlord not having found a replacement.