Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We sold our house 2 years ago. At the back of the house is

We sold our house 2 years ago. At the back of the house is a strip of land with road access which we own. This strip of land has never been part of the garden (although we used the land to walk the dog and erected a green house on it) because it has a separate title deed from the house. The strip of land was not shown on the house details, in fact it shows it was not part of the sale, and the estate agents never took the buyers on the land. The house has a boundary of laurels and when asked by the buyers what the land was beyond the laurels was we said it was "private woodland". They never questioned this, in fact never had a survey done or checked the boundaries. However when they had been living in the house for 9 months they discovered we were the owners and they are now threating us with misrepresentation. At no time did we or the estate agents lie. Surely it was up to the buyers to ask and find out about the land before purchasing. If we go to court what our our chances? We have had l8 months of verbal abuse, threating letters etc from these people.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Provided the following points can be confirmed, then your Buyers do not have a leg to stand on-
1. Your Agents did not market the Property to include this land.
2. You did not indicate in any way that this land is included in the Sale.
3. If this land has a separate Land Registry Title Number, and the Contract prepared by your Solicitor only referred to the house Title Number and NOT the land's Title Number.
If the above apply, which I believe they do, then there has been no misrepresentation by you whatsoever and your Buyers would be badly advised to issue proceedings against you.
I do suggest that if you do get another letter, that you perhaps get your Solicitor to reply in the hope that that would put the end to this unsavoury situation for you.
I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
AL