Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I live on a landfill site I have since learned the council

Customer Question

I live on a landfill site I have since learned the council was responsible for the capping I bought the land as agriculture land but over time animals became sick. I had the land tested by the. Environment and the land have been down graded to grade 5 this is the worse grade it can be. So no animals can graze on the land I live on he land I have planning permission for my home. When my husband bought the land at auction it did not say it was a formal Landfill site. The land was owned by the council when it was a landfill site the information I was given was that the land have been left in a very poor state and not capped off properly please can you tell me is there anything I can do regarding this matter Regards ***** *****
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I'm afraid there is no case for you to claim any compensation from the Council. As with any purchase of land, a Buyer takes the land as it is, ("Caveat Emptor" = "Let the Buyer beware") and it is up to a Buyer to satisfy themselves before they purchase to make sure they are happy with the state and condition of the property.
In a standard purchase, a Buyers Solicitor would carry out an Environmental Search which would have revealed the past land use of the land. As you bought at Auction, I don't know whether any such Search was done on your behalf or whether the Seller provided a copy to be inspected before the Auction.
I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
AL